- Routing operations performed with the router mounted in an inverted position under the table of the routing system.
- A layer of plywood or other manufactured board used as a base material under finished flooring. Underlayment is often used as a substrate to increase the strength and/or smoothness of the flooring.
- Universal chuck
- A type of bit brace chuck having two jaws that pivot from their mid-point. These can be used to hold bits with parallel sided shanks in addition to the traditional tapered square lug shank.
- Universal Plane
- Any plane that can be used with cutters of different sizes.
- Universal Tinting Colors
- Tinting colors that are compatible with oil- or water-based products. Their liquid consistency makes them easier to mix than the paste-type tinting colors. Even though they are called universal, they may not be compatible with some lacquers, epoxies, or catalyzed finishes. Check for compatibility before using with these products.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, which publishes the text and drawings for all US patents on its web site.
RD Glossary by Run Digital